- Difficulty Easy
- Active time 20 minutes
- Total time 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Servings 24 slices
- 120 g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 120 g self-raising flour
- 120 g soft brown sugar
- 80 g desiccated coconut
- Caramel filling
- 790 g sweetened condensed milk (2 cans)
- 120 g butter
- 100 g golden syrup
- 180 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces (3-4 cm)
- 20 g butter, softened
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- Per 1 slice
- Calories: 1223.8 kJ / 291.4 kcal
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.7 g
- Fat: 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.3 g
- Fibre: 0.8 g
- Sodium: 158.2 mg
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a baking dish (30 x 20 cm) with baking paper and set aside.
- Place butter into mixing bowl and melt 2 min/50°C/speed 1, or until butter has melted.
- Add flour, sugar and coconut and mix 10 sec/speed 4. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then repeat mixing 10 sec/speed 4. Transfer into prepared tin and press down to form a base.
- Bake for 10 minutes (180°C). Set base aside to cool in tin (approx. 1 hour). Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place condensed milk, butter and golden syrup into mixing bowl and cook 20 min/100°C/speed 3, placing simmering basket instead of measuring cup onto mixing bowl lid.
- Pour caramel filling mixture over cooled base in tin, then bake for a further 10 minutes (180°C) and set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place chocolate into mixing bowl and grate 5 sec/speed 8. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add butter and melt 2 min 30 sec/50°C/speed 2, or until butter and chocolate are melted.
- Pour chocolate mixture over caramel filling, then sprinkle with sea salt flakes and set aside to cool. Place into refrigerator for approx. 1 hour or until set. Once set, cut into slices and serve.
TIPSFor a more traditional caramel slice or if you are making this for children, omit the sea salt flakes at the end.
Tips & Tricks
Oven, baking dish (30 x 20 cm), baking paper, refrigerator