- Difficulty Easy
- Active time 20 minutes
- Total time 1 hour 50min
- Servings 12 portions
- 2 eschalots, cut into halves
- 50 g salted butter
- 80 g dried cranberries
- 80 g frozen cranberries (see Tips)
- 80 g sugar
- 50 g Port
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- Pizza dough
- 220 g water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried instant yeast
- 400 g baker's flour
- 30 g extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to grease
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Camembert cheese, whole, removed from packaging (approx. 200 g)
- 30 g shelled salted pistachio nuts, slivered, plus extra to garnish
- 130 g streaky bacon, rindless, cut into pieces, fried, drained, cooled (optional - see Tips)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Place eschalots into mixing bowl and chop 2 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add butter and sauté 2 min/120°C/speed 2, without measuring cup.
- Add remaining filling ingredients and cook 10 min/90°C//speed 1. Transfer into a bowl and set aside to cool completely. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place water, sugar and yeast into mixing bowl, then warm 2 min/37°C/speed 1.
- Add flour, oil and salt, then start Dough dough/3 min. Shape dough into a ball and place on Thermomix® Oven Mat or in a greased bowl. Cover and set aside in a warm place to prove until doubled in size (approx. 1 hour). Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a pizza tray (30 cm) with baking paper and set aside. 7. Divide dough into 2 equal portions, then roll each portion into a circle (approx. 30 cm). Set one dough circle aside and place the other one on prepared pizza tray.
- Place whole camembert in the center of dough on pizza tray. Spread ¾ of the reserved filling around the camembert, keeping a gap of 1 cm from the edge of dough. Sprinkle filling with pistachios and ¾ of the fried bacon.
- Place the reserved circle of dough on top of filling and cheese. Pinch the outside edges of the pizza together to seal. Cut dough directly on top of the camembert to form 8 triangles and roll back to to enclose the sides of cheese.
- To make the sun's rays, use a sharp long knife to first cut the pizza into quarters up to the center. Then, cut each quarter in half, to create 8 sections. Cut those sections in half again, to create 16 in total. Now twist each section of dough 90 degrees, creating the 'rays' of the sun.
- Brush pizza sun with beaten egg and bake for 18-20 minutes (190°C) or until golden brown. 12. Serve with extra filling. Garnish with pistachios and remaining fried bacon before serving warm.
- If you cannot source frozen cranberries, replace with dried cranberries. Use 4 eschalots and reduce sugar to 50 g.
- Filling and dough can be made 1 day ahead. Allow the dough to prove overnight in the fridge, bring to room temperature before assembling.
- For a vegetarian option, omit the bacon.
Tips & Tricks
bowl, large bowl, silicone bread mat (Thermomix® Oven Mat), pizza tray (30 cm), baking paper, rolling pin, pastry brush
measuring cup, spatula