- Difficulty Easy
- Active time 10 minutes
- Total time 1 hour 20 minutes
- Servings 12 portions
- 125 g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 250 g self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- 40 g crystallised ginger (approx. 3 pieces)
- 125 g dark brown sugar
- 140 g golden syrup
- 100 g treacle
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 240 g full cream milk
- 2 eggs
- icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a bundt tin well and dust with flour, then set aside.
- Place crystallised ginger into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 7.
- Add butter, sugar, golden syrup and treacle and heat 4 min/98°C/speed 1 [TM31: 4 min/90°C/speed 1].
- Add flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix 30 sec/speed 4.
- Add milk and eggs and mix 1 min/speed 4. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes (180°C) or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the tin (see Tips), then place on a plate or cake stand and dust with icing sugar before serving (see Tips).
Tips & Tricks
- This cake becomes more flavoursome with time. To further develop the flavours, simply allow the cake to cool completely in step 5, then turn out and wrap the cake in foil for 24 hours to 1 week and set aside in the pantry. The longer the cake is left wrapped, the tastier and stickier it will become.
- If desired, drizzle with royal icing, see Cookidoo® for the recipe.
bundt cake tin (23.5 x 9.8 cm)