- Difficulty Moderate
- Active time 10 minutes
- Total time 1 hour 25 minutes
- Servings 12 slices
- 110 g basmati rice
- 110 g long grain brown rice
- 80 g millet
- butter, for greasing
- 40 g chickpea (besan) flour
- 140 g arrowroot flour
- 40 g chia seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 40 g pepita seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 400 g water, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tsp dried instant yeast or 20 g fresh yeast, crumbled
- 30 g macadamia oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Place basmati rice, long grain brown rice and millet into mixing bowl and mill
1 min/speed 9. Meanwhile, grease a deep-sided loaf tin and set aside.
- Add chickpea (besan) flour, arrowroot flour, chia seeds, pepitas, xanthan gum and salt and mix 10 sec/speed 4. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Place honey, water and yeast into mixing bowl and heat 2 min/37°C/speed 1.
- Add macadamia or olive oil, apple cider vinegar, eggs and reserved flour mixture and mix 15 sec/speed 5.
- Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula, then mix for a further
5 sec/speed 5.
- Transfer mixture into prepared loaf tin and leave to prove in a warm place until doubled in size (approx. 30 minutes). Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush top of loaf with water, then sprinkle with extra chia seeds and pepitas.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (180°C). Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack. Serve warm or allow to cool completely before transferring into a sealable container until ready to serve.
Tips & Tricks
- Serve fresh or toasted with your favourite jam, butter or spread.
- Proving time may vary depending on time of year and ambience. Choose a warm, dark place to leave dough to prove and try covering the loaf tin with a towel to insulate if necessary. Leave for further 15-30 minutes if not doubled in size, a maximum of 45-60 minutes should be sufficient.
- Mill 40 g dried chickpeas in step 1 with rice and millet to make your own chickpea flour.