With our new Blade Cover and Peeler accessory now available for sale on TheMix Shop, we’re singing our praises of the spud-tacular vegetable from the rooftops.
There’s no Christmas spread complete without your favourite potato dish. And there are so many wonderful varieties out there, you could practically eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In fact, in the making of this blog, we have been!
Here’s a rundown of our top recipes to make your Christmas spread extra special, matched to the perfect potato variety.
This is one of the more common varieties found at your supermarket, so you should have no problem picking up a bag for Christmas. They’re the perfect all-rounder, being neither too floury nor waxy.
Our favourite recipes include:
- Gratin dauphinois – This fancy potato bake-style dish is quick, easy and pairs well with your roasted or grilled meats.
- Placki – A delicious Polish potato pancake you can serve sweet or savoury for a special brunch.
- Potato ‘pizzas’ – For a tasty and fun finger food option, give these ‘pizzas’ a go. Great for Boxing Day too!
White (Nadine) potatoes
This potato variety is oval in shape and has a waxy, firm flesh which holds its shape well, making these spuds perfect for boiling and using in salads.
Try them in:
- Aussie potato salad – Our twist on the classic potato salad and a yummy addition to your barbecue Christmas spread.
- Chilli raita potato salad – For a spicy kick, try this recipe which uses spices, herbs, and citrus flavours for a unique side dish.
- Potatoes and green beans with parsley pesto – A more traditional side dish for your roast dinner. Ready in under 35 minutes with Thermomix®.
Royal blue potatoes
Another all-rounder, with purple skin and yellow flesh which makes a great mash, excellent roasties and crunchy chips.
We particularly love these recipes:
- Smashed roasted potatoes with rosemary salt – Take your roasties up a notch with these tasty, crispy morsels. The rosemary salt can be made in advance as well, so you can prep ahead.
- Colcannon – If you’re a mashed potato fan, give this recipe a go. It’s creamy, flavourful and can be made in a flash.
- Duchess potatoes – This recipe creates a unique and striking side dish that looks great on your Christmas table. Our Duchess potatoes pair well with roast meats, sausages, and grilled steak.
This variety can also be easily found at the supermarket and easily spotted with its ruby red skin.
These potatoes are great for:
- Ala hodi – For something special and spicy, try this warm potato curry recipe that’s ready in 40 minutes.
- Warm wasabi potato salad – Another potato salad with a twist! With unique flavours, crunchy cucumber, and zingy wasabi it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
A small to medium sized potato, which has a creamy texture and buttery taste when cooked. We love this variety for our ultimate entertaining recipes.
Try these recipes:
- Parmesan-crusted lamb cutlets, creamed spinach and smashed spuds – Hosting a sophisticated Christmas or New Year’s Eve dinner? This all-in-one recipe is sure to ‘wow’ your guests.
- Prawn salad with horseradish cream – potatoes, local seafood, pickled cucumbers and a creamy dressing… this dish has summer written all over it!
Why peel potatoes when you don’t have to?
These scrumptious dishes can be easily made with Thermomix® and our handy new Blade Cover and Peeler accessory which helps cut down your prep and cooking time even further. With our Blade Cover and Peeler, Thermomix® can now gently scrub and peel potatoes (as well as other hard veg), taking the tedious task off your hands. Ooohh, yes – you just got that time back! Bring on Christmas.
You can purchase the Blade Cover and Peeler now from TheMix Shop.