Vorwerk, the manufacturer, recommends you sous vide using the Thermomix TM6 model as it features a specific mode that has the perfect settings for this cooking technique as well as a lid on the simmering basket which prevents the sous vide pouch from blocking the opening in the centre of the TM6 mixing bowl lid. This allows steam to escape during the sous vide process. Sous vide cooking with Thermomix can be done using either the TM6 basket with lid or the Blade cover accessory.
While we do recommend that the TM6 is the best option for sous vide cooking because it has the specific sous vide mode, the TM6 basket with lid is compatible with both the TM6 and TM5. It comes included with the TM6.
The Blade cover accessory is compatible with both the TM6 and TM5 and will be available to purchase from TheMix Shop.
When you use your Thermomix for sous vide cooking:
- Make sure the liquid doesn't exceed the maximum mark in your mixing bowl after adding your sous vide food pouch
- Make sure all the air has been removed from the sous vide food pouch, so that it’s completely submerged in the liquid
- For sous vide cooking, never exceed a maximum temperature of 85°C.
- For sous vide cooking use only reverse setting on a maximum of Speed 1.
- The opening in the mixing bowl lid should never be blocked or covered from the inside or the outside (with the exception of the MC). This important safety feature is to allow steam to escape. If you notice that the opening in the mixing bowl lid has become blocked during the sous vide cooking process the manufacturer recommends you turn the appliance off at the power point and safely unplug it (do not touch the control panel). Then leave it to cool down completely.